Longford Primary School is situated in a heritage village in the rural township of Longford (est. 1813) approximately twenty minutes south of Launceston.
Longford Primary School
Longford Primary School was established in 1830 and is still situated on the site of the original building. There is a strong family tradition with multiple generations completing their primary education at the school.
With current enrolments sitting at around 250-260, we are a medium sized primary school within the Tasmanian context. There are approximately thirty staff in total. This includes teaching staff, office staff, teacher assistants, facilities staff and support staff (School Psychologist, Social Worker, Speech & Language Pathologist, School Nurse, Home School Liaison Officer and Chaplain).
Longford is a Kindergarten to Grade 6 School. Kindergarten students attend school for 15 hours a week in Tasmania. Kindergarten students turn 5 during their Kindergarten year. Students attend school fulltime from the prep year.
We have a variety of general and targeted programs for our birth to four year olds (Launching into Learning), and ECIS (Early Childhood Intervention Service) works out of our Early Learning Centre once a week.
Our two school sporting houses, Latour and Norfolk, are named for and link to the history of the area.
History of Longford Township
The town was originally called Latour, and was renamed Longford in 1833. Settlers used convict labour to build fine houses and estates, Brickendon and Woolmers being two such estates which are very much part of the tourist industry today. Other buildings of interest in Longford constructed between 1830 and 1850 are: Christ Church (1839), Queen’s Arms Hotel (1835), Blenheim Hotel (1846), Tattersalls Hotel – now the Longford Linc (c. 1846) and The Racecourse Hotel (1838) – now a B&B.
With a population of approximately 4200, the region is predominantly agricultural, noted for wool, dairy produce and stock breeding. Swift Australia (Southern) Pty Limited runs the Longford abbattoir and is one of the state's largest regional employers. The JJs bakery franchise was established at Longford and has an outstanding reputation. Longford is also the gateway to the Great Lake and Lake St Clair region.
Longford has a strong indigenous history. The Longford region was the traditional land of The Panninher (par-nin-her) clan of the North Midlands Nation. The Panninher clan occupied land from Dry’s Bluff to the Tamar, Evandale and south to the Conara region. The Norfolk Plains region was the site of hunting and also the boundary of the aboriginal road from the Liffey River valley to the Lake River Valley and on to the Central Highlands.
Cnr Catherine & William St
Longford TAS 7301
Phone: 03 6391 1252